Tuesday 8 May 2012

Adam: My Crit at The Red Gallery

http://personal-space-suit.blogspot.co.uk/
Last month I participated in the Creative Critiques Program at Red Gallery, the committee of which I have recently become a member. I was one of two artist to present work for feedback on this occasion, the other being another new committee Charlotte. I showed some of my latest Biro circle drawings form the studio. They are a series, produced one a week over  the course of 12 weeks. 

My very good friend and fellow committee member Rachel along with a few members of Hull's art scene.

I chose to show my actual drawing in favour of a Powerpoint presentation, I wanted the viewers be able to see the subtly of the delicate textures created by the time consuming process that I employ.

The Crits so for have averaged about 10 to 15 people.

My hanging here deliberately simple,  bulldog clips and map pins.

My drawings are made up of many small circles. The patters grow slowly and organically for a starting point. The variation in texture comes from variation both in applied pressure variation in the pens.

This series is drawn on to heavy, of white, rough textured Water colour paper.

I got some good feedback from people. Can't remember what my friend Cass is asking here though.

Me and Charlotte.  She makes large scale drawings, focusing on the act of drawing as a performance.   I found some interesting similarities in out practices, in some way they seem to be the inverse of each other.

I am often uncomfortable with expressing my ideas in writing, much preferring to speaking about my work. I tend not to plan a structure when is comes to presentation. I enjoy allowing what I am trying to get across to follow what ever path it will. This can lead to a some what meandering journey thought thoughts and patches of sometimes-too-fast-to-understand-slurred-stammering. I find it a highly rewarding endeavour, untying troublesome knots as I express my inner musings. In doing so lay out the path, again retracing my decisions and gain fresh insight into what is most inportant in the in the Artistic Practice that is most Native to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment